What does Citizens Advice Bureau help with?


What does Citizens Advice Bureau help with?

We give advice to millions of people People rely on us because we’re independent and totally impartial. We also give advice on consumer rights on our consumer helpline, support witnesses in courts through the Witness Service and give pension guidance to people aged over 50. We help millions of people every year.

Is Citizens Advice a free service?

The Citizens Advice service provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

Can you just turn up to Citizens Advice?

Some local Citizens Advice still can’t give face to face advice. They might be able to help by phone, email or online chat instead. If you can’t contact your local Citizens Advice, you can still get help by calling our national phone line or by talking to an adviser online.

What happens when you report someone to social services UK?

The helpline team will make a report and share information with social services. They might also contact local police if the child is in immediate danger. If the helpline don’t need to make a referral, they’ll give you advice on what you can do or information on local services.

Does it cost to ring 0800 from mobile?

Is there a charge for 0800 numbers? Calls to numbers beginning 0800 and 0808 are free from all landlines and mobiles. Yep, free!

How do I get advice from Citizens Advice Milton Keynes?

If you can’t get through first time, you can also TEXT the word ADVICE to 70020 and we will call you back within 3 working days, standard network charges apply. You can also get advice by using our email advice form or online. Please click here to read our latest guide about changes to Citizens Advice services in Milton Keynes following Covid-19.

How do I contact the local advice line?

You can call our local advice line on 0808 278 7991 at the following times: Calls to this number are free. Depending on your issue we may be able to help you during your first call.

How do I contact mkcab?

If you wish to contact us on a non-advice or administration issue then please use one of the following methods. Email: [email protected] Details of our complaints procedure can be found here.

Is landmark Citizens Advice a registered charity?

Landmark Citizens Advice study… 25 Nov 2021 | Serious questions for regulator as two more energy companies… 25 Nov 2021 | Three million families facing crisis as cost of living… We are a Registered Charity, please consider making a donation to us. Find out more about ways you can support this vital, local service.