What are the preventive measures for low birth weight?
Tips to lower your risk of having a low birth weight infant
- Start prenatal care early.
- Make significant lifestyle changes.
- Keep pre-existing medical illnesses under control.
- Maintain healthy weight gain and good nutrition.
What is low birth weight PPT?
Low birth weight (LBW):- “Defined as one whose birth weight is less than 2500 grams. Irrespective of gestational age.” 3. Small for gestational age (SGA):- “The term is to designate the newborns with birth weight les than 10th percentile or less then two standard deviation for their gestational age.” 4.
What is the most preventable risk factor for low birth weight babies?
These data suggest that apart from marital status, ethnicity and parity, maternal smoking is the single most important preventable risk factors for LBW.
How can we prevent premature birth?
Ways of Preventing or Reducing the Risk of Premature Birth
- Avoid tobacco, smoking, e-cigarettes, and second hand smoke.
- Don’t drink alcohol while trying to get pregnant and during pregnancy.
- Don’t use street drugs and avoid misuse of prescription drugs.
- Eat a balanced diet with foods containing iron and folic acid.
What are the causes of low birth weight?
What Causes Low Birth Weight?
- Weight of the mother under 100 pounds.
- Poor prenatal nutrition.
- Use of alcohol, cigarettes or drugs.
- Pregnancy-induced high blood pressure or preeclampsia.
- Gestational diabetes.
- Chronic health conditions like diabetes, heart problems, lung or kidney problems, and high blood pressure.
What are the reasons for low birth weight?
Why is low birth weight considered a risk factor?
Low birth weight (LBW) is closely associated with foetal and neonatal mortality and morbidity, inhibite growth and cognitive development and resulted chronic diseases later in life. Many factors affect foetal growth and thus, the birth weight.
What is the definition of low birth weight?
(loh berth wayt) A term used to describe an infant born weighing 5.5 pounds (2500 grams) or less. A low birth weight may occur when an infant is born too early (premature). These infants may have an increased risk of serious health problems.
What is most helpful in preventing premature birth quizlet?
1. Which is most helpful in preventing premature birth? Prenatal care is vital for identifying possible problems. People with higher socioeconomic status are more likely to seek adequate prenatal care, which is the most helpful for prevention.
What are the causes and consequences of low birth weight?
A baby with low birthweight may be at increased risk for complications. The baby’s tiny body is not as strong and he or she may have a harder time eating, gaining weight, and fighting infection. Because they have so little body fat, low birthweight babies often have difficulty staying warm in normal temperatures.
What are the symptoms of low birth weight?
The following are some of the common problems of low birthweight babies:
- Low oxygen levels at birth.
- Inability to maintain body temperature.
- Difficulty feeding and gaining weight.
- Breathing problems, such as infant respiratory distress syndrome (a respiratory disease of prematurity caused by immature lungs)
What are the main causes of low birth weight?
Why is low birth weight important?
Low birthweight is a major determinant of infant mortality. Most infant deaths occur in the first month of life, or neonatal period. The majority of these deaths are a consequence of inadequate fetal growth as indicated by low birthweight (birthweight of 2,500 grams or less).
Which is most helpful in preventing premature birth?
What are the causes of low birth weight babies?
What are the effects of low birth weight?
What proportion of baby boys are born with a low birth weight?
The proportion of baby boys that are born with a low birth weight is 4.6%.| PowerPoint PPT presentation | free to view Low%20birth%20weight- Low birth weight| PowerPoint PPT presentation | free to view
What is preterm baby and low birth weight baby?
DEFINITION:- 1.Preterm baby:- a)A baby born before 37 completed weeks of gestation calculating from the first day of LMP is defined as “preterm baby.” – D.C Dutta b) A fetus delivered between 20 & 37 weeks of gestation is “preterm baby.” 3. DEFINITION:- 2. Low birth weight (LBW):- “Defined as one whose birth weight is less than 2500 grams.
What are the prevention measures for LBW babies?
PREVENTION OF LBW BABY A . DIRECT INTERVENTION MEASURES Prevention of malnutrition – By nutritional education and supplementation under ICDS. Prevention of anemia – By distribution of IFA tablets Control of infections – By early diagnosis and prompt treatment. Avoid strenuous exercise , smoking & alcohol among pregnant mothers. 28. B .
CAUSES of LBW Low birth weight includes 2 groups 1) Preterm babies (<37 wks ) 2) IUGR In nearly 50% of cases of LBW the cause is not known. In remaining 50% the causes are grouped into a) medical b) social 7. a) Medical causes 1. Maternal causes : all high risk mothers except Diabetics 2.